Nothing ruins a tasty meal quite like an uncomfortable burning sensation you experience due to the excess production of acid by the gastric glands of the stomach, which is often followed by pain. But the thing with acidity is we’ve all suffered from it at some point or the other. Good news is there is a lot you can do to control and prevent acidity, but let’s first understand what causes acidity in the first place.
The acids that your body secretes help with the digestion by breaking down the foods you eat. But when the same acids are produced in large amount, it leads to acidity, giving rise to that burning and uncomfortable sensation in the stomach which is often accompanied by pain. While eating spicy and fried foods, consumption of excessive beverages, eating more pungent and fermented foods can all lead to acidity, skipping breakfast, lunch, dinner can also cause you to have acidity and heart burn.
One remedy that works wonder when it comes to treating acidity is the combination of carom (Ajwain) seeds and black salt.
Ajwain seeds are loaded with protein, fat, minerals, fibre and carbohydrate. These contain essential elements like calcium, thiamine, riboflavin, phosphorus, iron and niacin. It also contains bio chemical compounds like thymol, para cyamine, pinene and terpinene. On the other hand, black salt contains sodium chloride and traces of minerals and chemical compounds such like sodium sulfate, magnesium and iron in the form of ferrous sulfate etc.
Thymol present in ajwain seeds has antacid property that helps reduce acid refluxes and balances production of acid in the stomach. It also provides relief to the mucous membrane of the stomach from acidity, reduces that feeling of heaviness in the stomach and improves digestion. While black salts acts an excellent remedy for abdominal discomfort, acidity and other digestive problems you may suffer from. Intake of black salt along with ajwain seeds helps get rid of gas problem.
How to use carom seeds and black salt
- Heat 2 tablespoons of carom seeds in a frying pan and crush them or grind them to get a fine powder. Now add this powder in two tablespoons of black salt. Mix them well.
- Take ½ teaspoon of this mixture with warm water or honey 1-2 times a day.
- Alternatively, you can just take a pinch of it and consume without water.
- Don’t over consume carom seeds as it could lead to vomiting, headache, nausea, skin irritation and allergy.
- Also, make sure you don’t consume more than twice in a day.
- Don’t try this remedy if you have internal, ulcerative colitis or mouth ulcer or liver diseases.
Image source : Getty
Read more articles on Home Remedies
For more such stories, Download Onlymyhealth app