Keto diet is the newest diet trend which everyone wants to follow. It has shown great results for those who are trying to shed their extra kilos. So if you want to lose weight effectively, keto diet is the ultimate solution that you are looking for. Here is a complete guide for all the beginners.
What is keto diet?
A ketogenic diet is a low carb and a high-fat diet. It is well known for its ability to reduce fat and improve overall health. The diet involves very less or no consumption of carbohydrates. It replaces carbohydrates with fat. When you consume fewer carbohydrates your body produces small fuel molecules called ketones. Whereas consumption of carbohydrates leads to the production of more glucose and insulin. During a keto diet, the glucose is replaced by ketones which are an alternate fuel source for the body. The keto diet makes your body a fat burning machine. You consume fewer carbs and more fats. You liver turn fats into ketones, which supply energy. During a ketogenic diet, there is a drastic decrease in blood sugar and insulin levels.
What to eat?
You can enjoy foods with fewer carbs when you are on a keto diet. Food options may include- meat, natural fats like butter or olive oil, fatty fishes or seafood, eggs, cheese, Nuts and seeds, low carb veggies like tomato, onion or peppers. You need to keep your carb count under 50 grams per day. The fewer the cards the more effective the diet will be.
What not to eat?
You should strictly say no to foods high in carbohydrates. Foods that you should avoid may include-
- Sugary foods like carbonated soda, artificial fruit juice, candies, chocolates, ice creams, cakes and many more
- Cooked rice
- Potatoes, sweet potatoes, and carrots
- Wheat based products like pasta, bread or cereal
- Legumes like chickpeas, kidney beans, or peas
- Unhealthy fats
- Diet or high processed foods
Other health benefits of keto diet
The keto diet offers various other health benefits other than reducing weight. It was first introduced as a method for treating neurological diseases such as epilepsy. But later it showed effective results in losing weight. Some other health benefits of keto diet are:
- It prevents heart diseases by controlling risk factors like body fat, cholesterol and blood sugar levels, and blood pressure
- It may prevent certain cancer
- It treats Alzheimer’s disease by reducing its symptoms and progression
- It may also prevent polycystic ovary syndrome (PCOS) because it reduces insulin levels in the body
- Lower insulin levels and less sugar consumption can also keep acne at bat
Considerations before starting a keto diet
Keto diet is safe for almost everyone. But there is little consideration that you must apply before adopting the diet. If you take medicines for diabetes or high blood pressure then you must consult your doctor once before starting the diet. If you breastfeed your child then you should not try keto diet because your baby requires all necessary nutrients for proper development.
Read more articles on Healthy Diet.
For more related articles, download OnlymyHealth app.