There is certainly a lot of hype about gluten-free diets. In terms of diet trends assessed by Google, “gluten-free diet” searches have risen dramatically over the last 10 years. Gluten-free/grain-free diet books remai
Gluten is mostly found in grains such as barley, wheat, and rye. It has, also, been founded in ‘triticale’ which is a cross between rye and wheat. The diet which excludes the protein gluten is known as a gluten-free diet. However, this diet is most popular among people who are not at all related to any medical condition synced with gluten. It has been claimed that the benefits of following this diet are:
- weight loss
- energy boost
- health improvement
But, there are a lot of people who feel uncomfortable and ill, after consuming foods that contain gluten in it. The most severe reaction after eating a food item that contains gluten is known as “Celiac Disease”. Those who are suffering from this disease often experience:
- sharp pain in their stomachs
- skin rashes
- weight loss
- stomach discomfort
It is always suggested to get tested for celiac disease before going in for the “gluten-free” diet, or else, it will be harder for a specialist or an expert to tell you are diagnosed with this disease or not. There are two popular ways to test if you are going through celiac disease or not, one of them being a blood test and the other one being a biopsy. Through a blood test, it will help you acknowledge the antibodies that are incorrectly interacting with the gluten protein.
But like every coin has two faces, a gluten-free diet has a lot of pros to it as well. Some of the positive effects of it are mentioned below:
- Studies have shown that following a diet which has no gluten in it helps you to have a relief in digestive symptoms which may include hurdles like bloating, gas, fatigue and, constipation.
- It helps in the reduction of chronic inflammation. Especially help those who are suffering from celiac disease.
- Switching to this diet boosts the energy level of the body! Iron deficiency in people can be cured by following the route map of the infamous menu.
- Losing weight is another most beautiful pro of following the footsteps of this diet. As this diet, eliminates the consumption of foods like junk food, processed foods while adding the cart with healthy fruits & vegetables helps in weight loss quite quickly.
- There are some helpful tips which will make your journey towards the “Gluten-free diet” a successful yet productive and efficient are:
- Always read the label at the back of every food product that you are buying to make sure what you are trying to avoid and what you should be consuming.
- It’s okay if you tell your friends that you are following a particular type of diet, then they are most likely to go to places where you can enjoy the food as much as they do too. Also, so that they can annoy you and tease you to remind you to keep on following the diet.
- Plan ahead of time in case you are about to travel or go on a trip. Research about the places where you can eat along with readily available gluten-free food items. This will make your journey a bit easier and enjoyable while being healthy.
- The bottom line is however, most people can consume food with gluten without any harmful or adverse effects, but if you are willing to follow a gluten-free diet, it’s useful to choose plenty of healthy and delicious naturally gluten-free foods rather than torturing yourself in the name of a trendy lifestyle for good health.
- Always make sure to plenty of wholes, single-ingredient foods and lean protein sources which will keep your stomach happy and promote an optimal healthy lifestyle too!
(With inputs from Dt. Shikha Mahajan, Holistic Nutritionist, Diet Podium)
Read more on Healthy Diet
Written by: Tavishi Dogra
Source: Onlymyhealth editorial team Aug 16, 2019